Sunday 11 September 2016

Professional Honey Trafficker

Yes that's right, I've taken up a new career as a professional honey trafficker... Well not quite. I mentioned last week that I had 27kg of honey to shift from my room. When I've been going down South to work for rafting companies there is a really kind family of one of the raft guide who always lets us stay in  her house or one of the guest cabins. They have loads and loads of beehives on their property and make the most delicious honey, we agreed to transport some of the honey to deliver it to people who wanted some in Concepción. The downside was that 27kg of honey is quite heavy and takes up a lot of space in my not-so-huge room.
It took up this much space to be precise...
Hence why part of my week was spent lugging honey around to various places, thankfully it's all gone now! On Friday I headed down once again with another group of students to safety boat for their rafting trip. This group of students was great fun to work with and were really motivated and interested in the watersports industry. I'm getting much better at delivering safety briefs and games in Spanish now, which is just as well since I'm going to be running some whitewater rescue workshops in Concepción soon.
Warm-up games are definitely necessary. The water here is freeeezing!!!

A motivated crew makes for a better trip :)

Bets are on. Did the rafts fall off the trailer or not?
Concepción is also preparing itself for the 'Fiestas patrias', in fact there are already tents and stalls set up in the Plaza de Armas, the main square of the city. The signs there say that the fiestas go from the 2nd-30th of September! It's a bit like preparing Christmas window displays in November if you ask me... This week we'll be having a teachers lunch to celebrate the fiestas on Friday which should be good fun, after which I'll be heading of to a new city, Pucón, for a long weekend. One of my students has set me the challenge of getting a photo with a 'huaso', a kind of Chilean cowboy, wearing a 'chupalla', the straw hat that they wear. So fingers crossed next blog post I'll be able to show you what a 'Huaso' looks like, because frankly at the moment I have no clue what to expect!
A month long party, yes please!

No comments:

Post a Comment