Wednesday 5 October 2016

Non-stop!

It's been a while since I wrote my last blog post. The last couple of weeks I've been incredibly busy, what with starting the work for my year abroad project, trying to organise holiday work, planning and preparing classes and some more travelling. My weekend once again was spent working as a safety kayaker and photographer on the mighty Bio-Bio River with a rafting company. This Saturday the day was incredible because there were a lot of very low-hanging clouds which make the mountains look really impressive.

These clouds make all the mountains look pretty amazing
Always time to mess around whilst the clients are faffing!
Sunday I was invited to help out at a watersports event in Hualqui, a small town about half and hour away from Concepción. The idea was to help out with safety for a massive flotilla of kayaks, SUP's and rafts which were going to do a 3hr descent of the flat section of the Bio-Bio River. It was great to see such a large group of people out on the river, 47 to be precise, especially in such a wide range of crafts! The start of the day was very foggy and overcast, which made for some great photos, but it soon cleared up and the sun came out so we could enjoy the heat of the day. I was especially thankful for the sun since I managed to get my hands on a playboat for the first time since being out here. It was great to get back into freestyle after so long, I've really missed it! Although the boat was far too large for me which made throwing some tricks pretty challenging... I even got the chance to do a bit of guiding the raft (which I've also been practising on the bigger rapids on the Bio-Bio) which I've been finding good fun.
Atmospheric start to the day
Not a bad day at the office

Yesterday was probably my most productive day recently. I got a lot of odd tasks done. My kayak, which I managed to break the first time I used (just the thigh braces, nothing major) needed repairing, so is currently at my flat whilst I repair it. I also booked flights to Torres del Paine with one of my housemates for February. Torres del Paine is supposedly one of the most beautiful places in Chile (check out some pictures if you've never seen it before!) and we're going to spend 10 days there trekking together which I'm really looking forward to. In stranger news, I also turned my hand to face-painting this week, helping one of my housemates prepare for a dance he has to do. It was supposed to be a traditional Rapa Nui design, the Rapa Nui are the indigenous people from Easter Island, which belongs to Chile. I think it turned out ok...
Boat successfully repaired with the help of my trusty assistant.
Going to Torres del Paine with this one... Also must be a nutcase since he let me paint his face!

No comments:

Post a Comment