Saturday 10 December 2016

First full week

Due to some suspect weather, there haven't been that many trips with clients this week. COnsidering the high season hasn't started yet, this is pretty convenient for two reasons. Firstly, the rain brought up a lot of rivers that weren't runnable before. Secondly, the lack of clients meant that after a few hours of work in the shop, we got out boating quite a lot! Monday afternoon we went to see the Rio Nevado, a grade 4/5 canyon run. We arrived and everybody looked a bit nervous, there was a lot of water... For a first time run of this river we figured it'd be better to do it a bit lower, so we left with the plan of returning the next day for a slightly less chaotic first run. Luckily, the next day we had the perfect level and set off into the canyon.

This run was the best section I have paddled to date! Full of tight and twist corners, ducks under rocks and logs, countless waterfalls and drops and one amazing slide!!! It was great to get out paddling with the other two guides and the boss as it gave us some more time to get to know each other and everybody's paddling style. We hiked out of the river at the take-out all buzzing with adrenaline and keen to go back again to run this great section as many times as we can.
Jeremy styling the line
Setting safety can be fun too!
Scouting on the slide

On Wednesday everybody was a bit busy, but the boss offered to drop me off at the Upper Trancura and pick me up later. I've been keen to paddle this grade 4 section as it's notoriously fun, and I'll be working on that section, guiding and coaching, all summer long. I set off on my solo run with some information on the lines and where to get out for the big portage. Unfortunately my brain failed to retain all the information and I went down the wrong side of one of the islands, nothing major but it meant that I had an annoying walk back up to descend the right channel... I finished the upper section fairly quickly and paddled down the lower section too, where I got picked up in the van. It's always a bit more nervewracking paddling by yourself but overall the run was fantastic and I was glad to be able to get out on the water.

Yesterday was a busy day on the river too. In the morning, me and Daniel were out in the tandem kayaks paddling the Lower Trancura. It's fun for us because we paddle in the back of the boat, with a guest coming along for the ride in the front seat. You've got to be a bit more proactive about choosing good lines, but apart from that it's just point downstream and paddle hard. The safternoon I safety kayaked for the first SUP (stand-up paddleboard) trip of the season. Hopefully I'll be guiding the next SUP trip, starting with a few tiny rapids and then a really scenic paddle out.

Today I'll be teaching an advanced class on the Upper Trancura, it is raining, but it is a watersport I suppose... It'll be my first class in Pucón in Spanish which should be fun. I thought I'd also attach the compulsory videos of the drop and slide on the Nevado, too good an opportunity to miss :)


2 comments:

  1. Hi Shahid
    Still lots of funny faces- very odd is this a Chilean thing?
    Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shahid
    Still lots of funny faces- very odd is this a Chilean thing?
    Love Mum

    ReplyDelete