Tuesday 24 January 2017

Training ramps up

Here in Pucón everything is going really well. I 've been on the water every day, teaching and guiding all sorts of outings. I've been guiding rafts, doing ducky trips, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, teaching kayaking and rescue to the work experience guys and personal paddling. One of the highlights of this week was relaxing on the beach of a really nice hotel running trips from their private beach, could be worse!

Chilling in the shade
To be fair, it was a nice relaxing break after having watched Trump's inauguration live from the shop. Depressing to say the least.
A sombre mood in the office

The infamous Marimán
One of the main things I've been focussed on this week is making sure that I'm on the best paddling Pucón there is a section called the Trancura Alto, it's a grade 4 run with one grade 5 rapid that is mostly portaged. I've been eyeing it up since I've been here, but the landing is quite shallow, the entrance is complicated and you have to be really confident you're going to nail the moves. Yesterday I felt I was paddling at the top of my game and decided to go and take a serious look. A few minutes of inspection later and I was ready to do my first descent of Marimán. I felt sure I could pull it off, and surely enough I hit exactly the line I had planned on. These past few months in Pucon have been key for improving my boating and I hope to keep pushing myself for the rest of my time here.
form I can be, ready to head out for my trip to Ecuador. Part of that process has involved doing some solo laps on the Palguin, a grade 4 waterfall run, making sure my technique is improving and polishing some key moves. Another side of that has been trying to push the level that I'm paddling at. Close to

Image result for mariman trancura
Not me... But it is the same rapid!
These coming few days I'll be preparing more practical things for Ecuador, ready to fly out on Saturday. I've got a few outings with clients booked this week on the river before I head back to Conce to fly North. I'll update you all soon with how the preparation is going!

No comments:

Post a Comment